Today, South Africa is the ninth-largest wine producing market globally. The country’s agricultural area in terms of grape cultivation is around 93,021 hectares (930km2), with an even balance or red (44.8%) and white varieties (55.2%) grown across these vineyards.
Where is wine produced in South Africa?
The majority of wine production in South Africa takes place in the Cape, particularly the south-west corner near the coastal region. The historical heart of South African wine has been the area near the Cape Peninsula and modern-day Cape Town.
Which wines are made in South Africa?
The 13 Best South African Wines to Score Right Now
- 2017 AA Badenhorst “Ramnasgras” Cinsault Swartland ($32) …
- 2016 B Vintners “Black Bream” Pinot Noir Walker Bay ($33) …
- 2016 Beeslaar Pinotage Stellenbosch ($54) …
- 2015 Klein Constantia “Vin de Constance” Constantia ($100 for 500ml) …
- 2018 Mother Rock White Wine Swartland ($25)
Is South Africa known for wine?
South Africa has been producing wine since the first vines were planted in the 17th century, brought by the Dutch governors of Cape Colony. At one time, the sweet wine of Constantia was the most prized in the world. The most important South African wine regions are around the two cities of Stellenbosch and Paarl.
What is the most famous wine region in South Africa?
The most renowned wine regions of South Africa
- – Stellenbosch (Cabernet sauvignon, Merlot, Pinotage, Syrah, Chardonnay, Sauvignon blanc)
- – Paarl (Cabernet sauvignon, Syrah, Chardonnay, Sémillon, Viognier, Chenin blanc)
- – Constantia (Sauvignon blanc, Muscat de Frontignan)
Is South African wine new world?
New World wines are those wines produced outside the traditional winegrowing areas of Europe and the Middle East, in particular from Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, Mexico, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States (primarily California).
Who started the wine industry in South Africa?
The Van der Stel Era (1679–1712) The founding father of South African wines is Simon van der Stel (1639–1712), the tenth Commander and then first Governor of the Colony (Figure 2).
What is the most expensive wine in South Africa?
Most Expensive South African Wine
|Wine Name||Grape||Avg Price|
|De Toren The Black Lion Shiraz, Stellenbosch, South Africa||Shiraz||$263|
|De Toren Expression Unique Book XVII Red, Stellenbosch, South Africa||Cabernet Sauvignon – Malbec||$260|
|Kanonkop Black Label Pinotage, Stellenbosch, South Africa||Pinotage||$170|
What is the most famous wine?
5 Most Popular Wines in the World
- Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the most widely recognized wines in the world. …
- In France, Merlot stands for “the little blackbird”. …
- Airén is the first white wine grape on our list. …
- Chardonnay is the most popular white wine on earth and, more recently, it has also become the most divisive.
What is the most popular white wine in South Africa?
Top 15 South African white wines
- Missionvale Chardonnay 2018. Bouchard Finlayson. …
- Apogée Chardonnay 2018. La Vierge. …
- (Stellenbosch Manor) Barrel Fermented Chenin Blanc 2019. Stellenrust. …
- 1707 White Reserve 2019. …
- Old Vine Chenin Blanc 2019. …
- Endura Single Vineyard Chenin Blanc 2017. …
- The Bernard Series Whole Bunch Roussanne 2020. …
- Albertus Viljoen Chenin Blanc 2018.
What is the best red wine in South Africa?
Areas such as Paarl, Stellenbosch, Swartland, Walker Bay and Franschhoek have all become synonymous with top quality wines. The most popular red wines are shiraz (syrah), cabernet sauvignon, along with cinsault (or cinsaut), pinot noir and the homegrown Cape favourite, pinotage.
What is South Africa famous for?
South Africa, the southernmost country on the African continent, renowned for its varied topography, great natural beauty, and cultural diversity, all of which have made the country a favoured destination for travelers since the legal ending of apartheid (Afrikaans: “apartness,” or racial separation) in 1994.
Which wine is good for health?
Red wine, in moderation, has long been thought of as heart healthy. The alcohol and certain substances in red wine called antioxidants may help prevent coronary artery disease, the condition that leads to heart attacks. Any links between red wine and fewer heart attacks aren’t completely understood.
How many wine producers are in South Africa?
Wine-Searcher currently lists 1052 South African Wine Producers.
How many wine regions does South Africa have?
The South African winelands encompass 29 diverse districts and some 92 smaller wards in total.
Is fruit from South Africa safe to eat?
All South African packhouses are accredited and follow strict guidelines. … “For over a hundred years South Africa has had an excellent reputation as a credible and reliable source of excellent quality and safe fresh fruit.