Go to the office of the DHA and get the Application form for changing your name in the Register. The applicant will have to get application form according to his/her requirement. If the need is to change the forename, you have to obtain Form BI-85 from the office of DHA and fill the form as required.
What documents do I need to change my surname in South Africa?
Application For The Alteration Of The Surname Of A Major
- Application form BI-196 and form BI-529.
- Form DHA-9 – All applications for amendments of persons 16 years and older MUST include the finger print form. …
- A birth certificate which shows parentage place of birth.
- Evidence of usage of the name to be registered.
How do I change my surname at home affairs?
Applications for the insertion of a forename or surname, as the case may be, must be on a duly completed Form BI-795. Both parents must complete Form BI-1682 and submit it to any domestic Home Affairs office.
How long does it take to change your name in South Africa?
All of the above application requires a processing period of 3 to 4 months as the amendment has to be published in the Government Gazette. Once the application is finalized, applicant will receive an abridged birth certificate to confirm the amended information.
What is the process of changing surname?
There are three critical and mandatory steps in changing your name, namely:
- Affidavit Creation. An individual that requires a name change will be required to submit an affidavit for change of name (deed poll affidavit) on stamp paper which has to be attested by a notary. …
- Newspaper Publication. …
- Gazette Notification.
Is Home Affairs open during lockdown?
Home Affairs offices will continue opening Monday to Friday, from 08:00 to 15:30. We are extending our operating hours to 19:00 to accommodate people who need to register deaths and births up to 15 February 2021. … Nobody will be allowed to enter any Home Affairs office without a mask.
How long does it take to change a surname at home affairs?
The process could take up to 6 weeks. For more details visit the Department of Home Affairs.
Can I change my surname?
Changing a surname. As with your first name, there is nothing in the law stopping you from changing your surname at any time, so long as you don’t have any fraudulent (or other criminal) intent. … You can change your name at any time, and as many times as you wish.
How long does it take to change your surname?
The whole process of updating your records with all record holders usually takes 3–8 weeks, depending on how promptly you do it.
Can you change your surname without getting married?
Advice for couples who don’t want to get married
If as a couple you do not want to get married (or enter into a civil partnership), it is entirely within your rights for one or both of you to change your surname to match your partner’s, giving the appearance of a married couple.
Can I use my old passport after name change?
US Citizens: United States Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your United States passport or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage …
What is a good reason to change your name?
However typical reasons people change their name are: if you get married or enter into a civil partnership, or you want to take your partner’s name. if you get divorced, dissolve a civil partnership, or end a long-term relationship. to take a double-barrelled name after you marry, or enter into a civil partnership.
What are the benefits of changing your name?
Legally changing your name does offer quite a few potential benefits. First of all, it can give you a fresh start. Whether you want to put a difficult past behind you, escape the attentions of a stalker or start fresh during a new phase in your life, a legal name change can be very empowering.
Can you change your last name for no reason?
1. You can name yourself anything, with a few exceptions. If you don’t like your birth name, you can legally change it to whatever you want … with a few exceptions. … You also can’t change your name to commit fraud, evade law enforcement, or avoid paying any debts you owe.
How do I permanently change my name on Zoom?
- Open the Zoom application on the desktop.
- Tap on the Profile icon and choose my profile.
- This will take you to your profile page where you can edit details from your profile.
- Tap on Edit towards the right of the profile picture.
- Feed-in your desired name in the First name and last name fields.
How can I officially change my name?
Furnish Documents Required For Name Change
- An affidavit duly signed by the applicant and attested by Judicial Magistrate/Notary.
- Original newspaper in which name change ad is given.
- Prescribed proforma (should be computer typed and not handwritten) with signatures of applicant and two witnesses.