The study found the cheapest data cost $0.12, while the most expensive was $34.95. Data prices are keenly looked at by South African consumers after the Competition Commission found South Africa’s major mobile providers, Vodacom, Telkom, MTN, and Cell C, were charging too much for mobile prices.
Is data in South Africa Expensive?
JOHANNESBURG – South Africa has been ranked 136th globally for the cost of mobile data. … According to a study by Cable.co.uk, the average price of data in South Africa is $2.67 or R39 for 1GB of data. The study collected data from over 6,000 mobile data plans in 230 countries.
Is data cheap in South Africa?
South Africa ranks at 148 out of 228 countries on mobile data prices in a new report. SA is cheaper than Canada and the United States – but more expensive than most of Africa. The cost per megabyte is highest for the poor, who can’t afford bulk data packages. For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
How much does 1GB of data cost in South Africa?
The report notes the average price of 1GB of mobile data in SA is $2.67 (R39), the most expensive price is $34.95 (R509) and the cheapest is $0.12 (R1. 75). The global average is $4.07 (R59).
Which country in Africa has the cheapest data?
Malawi, Benin, and Chad recorded elevated prices for mobile data as well, positioning among the 10 countries with the highest prices for data globally. By contrast, one gigabyte cost 0.50 U.S. dollars in Somalia, the cheapest average price registered in Africa.
What is the cost of data in South Africa?
South Africa’s data costs an average of $2.67 (R38.
How can I make my data cheaper?
5 ways to make data cheaper in Africa
- Shared Infrastructure. There have been a number of interesting operator consortia and third party operators over the last three years but the momentum seems to have faltered. …
- Accelerate LTE roll-outs. …
- Wider Wi-Fi Coverage. …
- Electricity transmission to base stations. …
- The need for new business models. …
- More by Balancing Act.
Which data plan is cheapest?
Check The Cheapest Data Plans Offered By Jio, Airtel And Vodafone
- Reliance Jio. Jio provides users with cheap internet plans at Rs. 11 and Rs. The Rs. …
- Vodafone Idea (Vi) The cheapest data plans offered by Vi are Rs. 16 and Rs. The Rs. …
- Airtel. Airtel provides users with cheap internet plans at Rs. 48 and Rs 78. The Rs.
What is the best uncapped Internet in South Africa?
Top 10 Cheapest Uncapped Wifi Deals In South Africa
- Afrihost. Afrihost has emerged as one of the topmost reliable providers of cheap internet services in South Africa. …
- Axess. …
- ITNT. …
- Vox Telecom. …
- Mweb. …
Which Sim is best for data offers?
Here are some of the best data and voice prepaid plans being offered by Airtel, Vodafone, Reliance Jio, Idea Cellular, BSNL and Aircel.
- 1 1. Airtel Rs. 449 Plan.
- 2 2. Airtel Rs. 293 Plan.
- 3 3. Vodafone Rs. 244 Plan.
- 4 4. Idea Rs. 347 Plan.
- 5 5. Jio Rs. 399 Plan.
- 6 6. Jio Rs. 309 Plan.
- 7 7. Aircel Rs. 348 Plan.
- 8 8. BSNL Rs.
Which country has cheapest data?
Israel has the cheapest mobile data in the world, with one gigabyte (1GB) of data costing an average of just $0.05 USD.
Which network is the best in South Africa?
MTN had the highest average download speed at 64.29 Mb/s, followed by Vodacom with a speed of 32.76 Mb/s, Telkom at 27.83 Mb/s, Cell C with 20.82 Mb/s and Rain with 10.58 Mb/s. Overall, South Africa had an average mobile download speed of 33.23 Mb/s and an average upload speed of 12.71 Mb/s.
How do I get cheap data on Vodacom?
There are 4 easy ways to buy Once-off data bundles with your Prepaid airtime:
- Log in to My Vodacom.
- Download the My Vodacom app.
- SMS the bundle size you want to 136, FREE from your cellphone or Vodafone Mobile Broadband Connection Manager. Example; SMS “MyMeg 250” to 136.
- Dial *135# and follow the menu options.
Which country has the most expensive Internet in Africa?
Malawi has the most expensive mobile internet rates in Africa.
Which country has the most expensive data in Africa?
Sub-Saharan Africa still has the most expensive data prices in the world. The region has six out of the ten most expensive countries in the world for 1GB of mobile data, including the highest priced, Equatorial Guinea; with Sudan the only African country among the top ten cheapest in the world.
Which country has most expensive data?
Countries with the Highest Mobile Data Prices
- Zimbabwe. (Source: Cable) Average price of 1GB: $75.2. …
- Equatorial Guinea. (Source: Cable) Average price of 1GB: $65.83. …
- Saint Helena. (Source: Cable) …
- Falkland Islands. (Source: Cable) …
- Djibouti. (Source: Cable) …
- Bermuda. (Source: Cable) …
- Greece. (Source: Cable) …
- Samoa. (Source: Cable)