Which plants are found in South Africa?
23,420 species of vascular plant have been recorded in South Africa, making it the sixth most species-rich country in the world and the most species-rich country on the African continent.
What plants are native to southern Africa?
12 edible indigenous South African plants
- Pelargonium culallatum (wild malva) …
- Pelargonium tomentosum (peppermint-scented pelargonium) …
- Coleonema pulchellum (confetti bush) …
- Oxalis pes-caprae (wild sorrel) …
- Artemesia afra (African wormwood) …
- Carissa macrocarpa (num-num) …
- Tulbachia violacea (wild garlic) …
- Jasminum multipartitum (many-petalled jasmine)
What plants originated in Africa?
Crops of African Origin or African Diffusion in the Americas
- Let’s talk about crops in the African Atlantic World—everybody is moving them around–Africans, Arab traders, Southeast Asian mariners, Europeans. …
- Okra Coffee.
- Yams Miracle Fruit.
- Sorghums, Grain and Sweet Lablab/Hyacinth Bean.
- Millets Balsam Apple.
- Tamarind Oil Palm.
- Cowpeas/Black Eyed Peas Akee Apple.
What flowers come from South Africa?
Flowers of South Africa
- Barberton Daisy. The Barberton Daisy has become an emblem of South African organisations and was the symbol for the Blue Bulls, a famous rugby union based in Pretoria. …
- Blood Lily. …
- Bulbous Marshweed. …
- Candelabra Flower. …
- Cape Eelgrass. …
- Day Waterlily. …
- Devils Thorn. …
- Flame Lily.
How do plants survive in South Africa?
Like humans and animals, plants need both water and nutrients (food) to survive. Most all plants use water to carry moisture and nutrients back and forth between the roots and leaves. … Fertilizer also provides plants with nutrients and is usually given to plants when watering.
What is the plant life in South Africa?
Natural vegetation in South Africa varies from savanna through grassland with fewer trees to scrub and scattered bush and drier western areas. Because of dry summers Western Cape has a distinct vegetation of grasses, shrubs, and trees. The eastern coast has a more tropical plant life.
What are 5 plants that live in Africa?
Notable African Savanna Plants
- Acacia Tree. One of the rare trees to thrive in the savanna, the acacia is one of the most iconic sights in the grasslands. …
- Baobab Tree. Another iconic sight on the savanna is the baobab tree. …
- Candelabra Tree. …
- Elephant Grass. …
- Jackal Berry Tree. …
- Whistling Thorn.
What is the most beautiful flower in Africa?
As the national flower of South Africa, the king protea (Protea cynaroides) is one of the most spectacular species of protea.
What is the most popular flower in Africa?
Agapanthus is one of the most popular South African flowers. Its lily-like shape earned this genus “lily of the Nile” or “African lily.” Many Agapanthus plants are perennial, blooming happily in summer. The leaves are long and strappy, circling pale blue, dark blue, violet, or purple flowers.
What fruit are native to Africa?
For probably as long as people have lived in Africa, they have eaten culturally and traditionally important indigenous fruits such as baobab, desert date, black plum, and tamarind.
What fruits and vegetables originated in Africa?
Many foods were originally domesticated in West Africa, including grains like African rice, Pearl Millet, Sorghum, and Fonio; tree crops like Kola nut, used in Coca-Cola, and Oil Palm; and other globally important plant foods such as Watermelon, Okra, Black-eye peas, and Yams.
Which country in Africa had the first farmers?
The first farmers in southern Africa were Bantu-speakers and archaeology shows that they entered southern Africa between 2 000 and 1 700 years ago This topic focuses on the life of the first farmers of southern Africa and the ways we can find out about them.
What flower represents Africa?
The king protea is the national flower of South Africa. It also is the flagship of the Protea Atlas Project, run by the South African National Botanical Institute.
What is a South African lily called?
n. A rhizomatous plant (Agapanthus africanus) of South Africa, grown especially for its umbels of blue, violet, or white funnel-shaped flowers. Also called agapanthus, lily of the Nile.
What is the African flower?
Some of the native flowering plant species of Africa include protea, impala lily, flame lily, leopard orchid, amaryllis, ice plants, freesias, leopard orchid, African daisy, bird of paradise, gazania, and African iris. Many of the species have become ornamental plants in the United States.