If you are about to launch a new clothing brand in South Africa: First, check whether you are allowed to use your brand name / logo at a cost of R2,500 plus vat; and. Then, file a South African trademark to protect your brand name / logo at a cost of R3,750 plus vat.
How much does it cost to trademark a name in South Africa?
How much will my application cost? The application fee for a trade mark is R590. 00 for each class in which you apply, and for each spare trade mark.
How do I register my clothing brand in South Africa?
File a South African trademark application for your clothing line brand within a few minutes at a cost of only $80:
- Check that your brand has not already been registered at the South African trademarks office (CIPC);
- Register on the Iptica online South African Trademark Filing System;
How do I register my local clothing brand?
Here’s how to begin the federal trademark registration process:
- Choose a name and design a logo. First, choose a name for your clothing label and design a logo that works with it. …
- Identify the goods you want to protect. …
- Search the USPTO database. …
- Choose your basis for filing. …
- File your application.
Where can I register a brand in South Africa?
CIPC administers the Register of Trade Marks, which is the official record of all the trade marks that have formally been applied for and/or registered in the Republic of South Africa, since 1916.
What are the 3 types of trademarks?
Different Types of Trademarks
- Descriptive Trademarks;
- Merely Descriptive Trademarks;
- Generic Trademarks;
How do I get a free trademark?
You can not register a trademark for free. However, you can establish something known as a “common law trademark” for free, simply by opening for business. The benefit of relying on common law trademark rights is that it’s free, and you don’t need to do any specific work filling out forms, etc.
How do I protect my brand name?
Protect Your Brand Name in 5 Steps
- Register your domain name. Domain names are an important part of any business brand today. …
- Trademark your business name and logo. …
- Use your brand. …
- Monitor your brand. …
- Deal with infringement immediately.
How do I copyright a product?
To register your copyright, you need to go to the eCO Online System, create an account, and then fill out the online form. There’s a basic fee of $35 if you file online. The processing times are generally faster if you apply online, but eFiling still takes between three and four months, according to Copyright.gov.
How do I register my brand?
Here’s how you can apply for trademark:
- Decide on your unique brand name and logo. …
- Conduct an online search. …
- Fill-in the trademark application. …
- Filing for the brand name registration application. …
- Scrutinizing of your brand name registration application. …
- Publication in Indian Trade Mark Journals.
How do I register my logo?
How to Register a logo?
- Step 1: Choose a unique logo.
- Step 2: Apply for your logo registration at the earliest.
- Step 3- Examination of trademark application.
- Step 4- Show Cause Hearing.
- Step 5-Publication of Mark in Trademark Journal.
- Trademark registration & certification.
Does Mr Price promote local brands?
Mr Price has launched its Local Business Love initiative to connect customers with small and local businesses. Brand project manager Zanthea van Zyl says the company felt the need to support local businesses during these uncertain times.
How do I start my own clothing line with no money?
The best (and let’s be honest–the only) way to start a clothing line with no money is to use the print on demand drop shipping method. With this model, you pay for products only when a customer orders something, you don’t need any inventory, and you’re not risking much if the product doesn’t sell.
Do you have to register a trading name in South Africa?
Prior to the promulgation of the Consumer Protection Act, 2008 (Act No. Therefore the CPA has prohibited the use of trading names and requires business names to be registered with the Registrar of Companies. …
How do I copyright a logo and name?
Filing a Copyright Registration Application
Go to the U.S. Copyright Office website. Select “Electronic Copyright Registration” to fill in the Form VA online for registration of a work of Visual Arts. Name the creator of the logo and include contact information for the owner. Many logos are works for hire.
How do you copyright a name in South Africa?
There is no such thing as copyright registration in South Africa. Copyright arises automatically and is free. It need not be registered. One only adds the “(c)” symbol, “owner’s name” and “date” for evidentiary purposes.