The functions of languages especially in multilingual contexts, such as Nigeria include roles relating to official use of language, being used as national language, media language of wider communication, international communication purposes, school subjects, judiciary functions, roles relating to national identity, …
What are the 7 functions of language?
Table of Contents
- Function # 1. Expressive and Communicative Functions:
- Function # 2. Interpretative Functions:
- Function # 3. Control Function:
- Function # 4. The Functions of Remembering and Thinking:
- Function # 5. The Discovery of One’s Name:
- Function # 6. Social Functions of Language:
- Function # 7. Creative Functions:
What are roles and functions of English language in Nigeria?
It is the language of authenticity in Nigeria today. As a language of wider communication (LWC), English is used for phatic communion, ceremonial purpose, instrument of keeping records, information dissemination, self-experiment and embodiment of thought among the various linguistic groups in Nigeria.
What is the function of the language?
The functions of language include communication, the expression of identity, play, imaginative expression, and emotional release.
What language is used in Nigeria?
What are the five function of language?
Generally, there are five main functions of language, which are informational function, aesthetic function, expressive, phatic, and directive functions.
What are the three basic functions of language?
There are at least three different basic functions of language:
- Informative – words can be used to pass on information.
- Expressive – words can be used to evoke an emotion that is not a direct result of their meaning.
- Performatory – words can be as a kind of symbol / action in and of themselves.
What are the six functions of language?
Jakobson’s model of the functions of language distinguishes six elements, or factors of communication, that are necessary for communication to occur: (1) context, (2) addresser (sender), (3) addressee (receiver), (4) contact, (5) common code and (6) message.
What are the five uses of English language in Nigeria?
- English Is Used As A Means Of Communication In Nigeria. …
- English Is Used As A Medium Of Teaching In Nigeria. …
- English Is Used As A Written And Spoken Language In Nigeria. …
- English Is Used To Breaking Language Barrier In Nigeria. …
- English Language Is Used In Government’s Transactions:
What is use of English language in Nigeria?
English is the language of education in Nigeria. It is the language of instruction from upper primary education, through secondary and tertiary education in Nigeria. The state of English as a Second Language in Nigeria coupled with the numerous roles it plays, compels every Nigerian citizen to learn and to speak it.
What are the four functions of language?
Specifically, language has four functions. They are expressive, informative, directive and survival key.
What is language in your own words?
A language is a system of communication which consists of a set of sounds and written symbols which are used by the people of a particular country or region for talking or writing.
What is Metalingual function of language?
Metalingual function of language is the ability of language to talk about its own features. … Metalingual function of language becomes relevant in translation when a particular word is used in a special sense, deliberately a word play is done or linguistic ambiguity is created.
What is the main religion in Nigeria?
There are two major religions in Nigeria, Christianity and Islam, and their practice varies regionally. Cultural and geographical differences between these religious groups influence the prescribed sexual behaviours of their adherents.
Which country speaks Igbo Apart from Nigeria?
Related Igboid languages such as Ika, Ukwuani and Ogba are dialects of Igbo; Igbo is recognized as a major language in Nigeria, a minority in Equatorial Guinea and Cameroon.
|Region||Eastern Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea|